Re: Zantedeschia availability??

  • Subject: Re: Zantedeschia availability??
  • From: "Celeste Whitlow" <politicalamazon@charter.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 00:22:01 -0500 (CDT)

I just looked on Google to see what the heck a Zantedeschia looks like.
Surely you are not talking about the calla?  It is invasive here. In fact,
if you make the mistake of not pasteurizing (or discarding) media from a pot
that once grew calla lilies, and if you attempt to reuse the media, you will
have them coming up in whatever you put the media in. Even pasteurizing
doesn't kill the larger tubers but, hopefully, you will have screened your
media first to get those out.

The ones that are the worst are the common white ones.  Hopefully the more
beautifully colored ones are not so ninja.

In my experience, you cannot give them too much water, but they tolerate
clay soil just fine, even in a pot, so keeping water on them is usually not
a problem. Don't give them good media with good aeration because it will
just encourage them.

In my experience, they are phosphorous 'ho's, however. I made the mistake of
giving them some "bloom-booster" type high-phosphorus fertilizer once and
the blooms were out of this world, but mama-mia! it seems to have encouraged
tuber production like you would not believe.

If anybody wants any tubers from the common white calla, give me a holler,
and let me know how many pounds you want.

--Celeste