Re: Philo's and wet feet

  • Subject: Re: Philo's and wet feet
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:08:22 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

    Yes, many Philos are real aquatic plants. In subgenus Meconostigma (self
heading philos), many species are exclusively aquatic emergents (P.
uliginosum, P. brasiliense, P. tweedianum, P. dardanianum and a new species
I am describing from Espirito Santo state). However, some hemiepiphytes are
also known to occur occasionally in standing water like P. undulatum, P.
lundii, P. goeldii and P. bipinnatifidum. In the other subgenera, aquatic
species are not proportionally so common, but they do occur. Philodendron
muricatum is quite common in flooded portions of the Amazonas river, as well
as P. brevispathum is common in Mauritia swamps. There is a small species,
P. flumineum, that is the only species of Philodendron known to be a true
rheophyte, i.e., growing in rocks along fast flowing rivers in Central
Brazil. An extreme exemple of the weird habitats used by Philos is the
occurrence of P. martianum and P. crassinervium in rocks, very close to the
sea water. They do not send roots to the water (surely), but usually their
leaves have whitish spots cause by evaporated drops of salty water... Philos
are weird plants!

                         Very best wishes,

                                     Eduardo.

>From: "Sheralee & Iain McGregor" <shez_iain@hotmail.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
>Subject: Philo's and wet feet
>Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:47:21 -0500 (CDT)
>
>I have seen situations when philos(climbers&self headers)have grown roots
>into nearby ponds and aquariums and change from seeking roots into feeding
>roots .
>I've grown philos with the pot standing in water with good results.
>Finaly I see philos growing semi aquatic in Eliovson's book
>on the gardens of Burle-marx.
>The question is can some philos grow with the complete root zone
>underwater?

Eduardo G. Goncalves
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica
Depto. de Botanica - IB