Multiple subjects

Sorry, I was away for almost 2 weeks and got way behind!  I answered a
couple individually, though.

Julian, my "beta in a bottle" was a gift from my sister-in-law.  You are
right, there were no instructions as to how to keep the fish/plant healthy.
I did all the basic research myself.  I was told (by the aquarium owner!)
that the fish did not need to be fed at all!  He would survive by just
nibbling on the plant roots.  Fortunately, I did a little more research, and
learned that they need food.  I got bloodworms that mine thrives on.

The plant was an unknown species of spath.  The label said "Prayer Plant"  I
had to try to identify it. Still unsure what it is. It has very thick
leaves, solid green, heart-shaped. Never flowered, but the crown has greatly
increased in its situation. It gets no direct sunlight, but a bright
situation.  I haven't seen any of these for sale for months; fad died down.
But if they are offered again, surely some advice on how to keep them both
healthy should be an important part of the kit.

As I indirectly mentioned, part of the root system of the spath. is kept
submerged, with a minimum of 2" of the top of the root exposed.  As water
slowly evaporates from the jar, the level decreases to a maximum of 4"
exposed.  Water is changed biweekly, using only purified water to replace.

I also stated in another reply that I am going to attempt this method using
a Syngonium.  It has thrived having about 1/3 of its potted root mass
submerged.  Not sure what effect it has had on the roots, since I won't
unpot it until ready to set out (next week?)  Will let you know how the
experiment turns out in the fall.

For others who want to try the experiment with fish in a bottle using other
kinds of fish and plants, would love to hear about results.  This is my
first fish, ever, and he is very healthy.

One more thing:  Why didn't we hear the howl of anguish about the
metric/English confusion?  I really missed it Lord P!  Enjoyed your "Sunday
lecture".  Keep them coming.