RE: Tacca questions (off topic??)

  • Subject: RE: Tacca questions (off topic??)
  • From: StroWi@t-online.de (StroWi)
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:11:03 -0500 (CDT)

Steve,

thanks for the response.

"Steve Marak" <samarak@arachne.uark.edu> schrieb:
> On Sun, 26 May 2002, StroWi wrote:
> There used to be an Aroid-L'er from New Orleans, Lousiana, here in the US,
> who I met through Phil Mueller. He had Tacca chantrieri seedlings coming
> up all over his yard - I think he actually mowed the unwanted ones, which
> horrified me.

Oh yes, hat would have horified me, too. Really strange that weeds from the one place are the plant gems in another....

> Phil sent me several of the seedlings, which I promptly killed, then sent
> me a couple more, which I killed more slowly. In both cases, I apparently
> failed to keep them wet enough - I was told that I should pot them in
> "Mississippi mud" (heavy, poorly aerated soil that reminds me of black
> clay) and keep them WET!

The high water requirement is true for my adult plant as well. When I look a little too late and find the substrate still moist, at least in a state that other species with a similar foliage would not care about, my Tacca started to wilt with all leafes bending to the ground. However, by watering it recovers, maybe gets some dried leaf tips.
Low air humidity seems to be tolerated more; the plant is cultured in my living room, although it would probably benefit from high air humidity.

If it will flower under home conditions I do not know yet.

Best,
Bernhard.

Dollbergen, Germany
approx. zone 6