Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:02:23 -0500

Should I call my Amorphophallus Konjac growing out of a bulb or tuber?  What
is the difference?  Is it just that a tuber may be shaped different than a
Bulbs are made up of layers or scales. Good example, an onion.

Tuber is probably most appropriate, being defined as "A short, thick, usually, but not always subterranean stem or branch bearing buds or 'eyes' and serving as a storage organ, as in the potato..." (Hortus III)

Can I get seeds from a tuberous plant, such as the A. Konjac and have new
plants come from seeds from the Konjac, or does it only come from more little
Both, actually, although I think most of us just take the small extra tubers that form each year if we wish additional plants

 Mine has never bloomed before.  Does it have to be pollinated in
order to keep growing and producing more plants? If it only grows from
tubers, why does it need to be pollinated?

Pollination is only required if you wish seed (see above), and I believe that most clones of A. konjac are self-sterile or at least do not have the proper parts receptive at the proper times for self fertilization.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin