Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:36:38 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <SongString@aol.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 1:19 PM
Subject: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs

Dear Nancy,

I`ll try---it is growing from a corm or tuber, as a bulb has layers like an
As in other plant families, most aroids reproduce both by vegitative means
(small new tubers or cuttings, the new plants are clones of the 'mother') or
by sexual means (seeds).   It now gets complicated---some aroids, and I
believe Am. konjac is one of them, are capable of producing fertile seeds
without pollenation, and all the new plants from these non-fertilized seed
are clones of the mother plant!   If fertilized, the seed carry the
properties of both the male plant and the female, leading to diversity, some
seedlings showing the characteristics of the male/pollen plant, others of
the female plant, and others a good 'mix' of the two.   This is said to be a
'good' thing, as the  properties of two plants are mixed.  Your plant will
bloom, and then may or may not develop a seed-head.    It may be several
years before it re-builds enough 'strength'/size to bloom again.
I hope this helps.

Good growing,