Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 23:55:16 -0700

Hi Julius & Nancy,

No doubt there will be a flurry of responses on this topic, but in
the interest of providing yet another data point: my largest tuber
of Am. konjac (approx. 10" / 25 cm diameter) blooms like clockwork
every year in April.  It then takes a few months off before commencing
with its foliar phase, which here in the San Francisco Bay Area persists
until December or January before collapsing.  A few months more rest,
then the cycle repeats.  It's been 4 years so far, with little to no deviation
from the above schedule.

 -Dan Levin
Piedmont, CA

> << It may be several
>
> years before it re-builds enough 'strength'/size to bloom again. >>
>
> OH, my, I assumed that once it matured, it would bloom every year from now
> on.  Boo hoo. I guess I should savor the moment then, huh.  It has been in
> the 60's most of the week, so it has not been stinky yet.  Thank God!

Am. konjac is to my knowledge never an overwhelming stinker.
Think "dead cat" smell or thereabouts.  By comparison, poor Craig Allen at FTG
has been subjected to the likes of "dead rhinoceros" lately.  It's all relative, Nancy!