Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] question about tubers vs. bulbs
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 19:36:14 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Levin" <levin@pixar.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 2:55 AM

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the input.    I`m sure that some 'clones' bloom more regularly
than others, lucky you!  :--)
We must bear in mind that A. konjac is in MOST cases derived from cultivated
material that has been selectively grown as a food item for thousands of
years, so the species is capable of all kinds of 'clones' and mutations.
Fanny and Craig Phillips,  founding members of the IAS, and both legendary
Amophophallus/Aroid growers, had several different clones, some dwarf that
bloomed when tiny, 9" miniature replicas of the other GIANT clones that
bloomed at 8' tall!
Wild-collected species should/will tend to be more 'standardized' and
So, I guess the thing to do is to fertilize like crazy, grow for as long as
possible before dormancy sets in, and some may be lucky enough to have a
bloom every or nearly year in A. konjac!
I urge you all to make the effort and join the IAS as there is SO much good
printed articles on the growing of Amorphophallus sps., one in particular on
cultivation methods by the Amorphophallus 'King-grower, my friend Craig
Allen at Fairchild Gardens in Miami, Florida who presently has several
specimens of the GIANT species in bloom, and others by 'Lord Phallus', my
friend Wilbert Hetterschied on the different species and growing hints for
these rare and most interesting plants!!

Good growing!