Re: [aroid-l] self pollination of aroids

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] self pollination of aroids
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 05:12:39 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 3:18 PM

Thanks for the comment!    In the genus Urospatha there seems to be true
apomixis, as there are only a very few fruit produced on a spadix that has
not been pollinated, and these fruit generally contain less that their full
'quota' of seeds, but there are viable seed produced in most of the few
fruit, thereby continuing the reproductive process without cross or self