Re: [aroid-l] self pollination of aroids

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] self pollination of aroids
  • From: MossyTrail@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 23:40:40 -0400

"Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:

>Dear Marc and Friends,
>perhaps there was more
>and different genetic material available in apomixis for continued and later
>cross-pollination in a population of plants that were started by just one
>good seed originally produced from cross-pollination, but growing all by
>itself in a remote area.    I thought that perhaps reproduction by apomixis
>(vs. cross-pollination) until there were a few plants in this new population
>to enable cross-pollination to begin may be 'the better of two evils' as it
>were, but obviously not as 'good' as cross-pollination in a large and
>thereby very genetically variable population.

I presume you are referring to heterozygousness (heterozygosity?); that is, your one single plant has two forms of an allele.  Then, when it self-pollinates, the alleles may be recombined to produce previously-hidden diversity.  Sorry, I am having trouble expressing myself clearly tonite.

Jason Hernandez