Re: [aroid-l] self pollination of aroids

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] self pollination of aroids
  • From: Marc Gibernau gibernau@cict.fr
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:49:54 +0200

Dear Julius & Friends,

I listed the advantages and disadvantages of apomixis in a previous e-mail.
So it will depend on the populational state of your species.

If I understand well your question, apomixis will never "mix" genes (it's a
cloning multiplication better than reproduction). But apomixis will "keep"
all the genes in place (for future mixing if cross-pollination occurs).

Self-pollination will mix the genes and all lethal genetic combinations
will be
eliminate (through the death of the individuals bearing them). Thus alleles
will be lost (but they were not fit), this is called 'allelic purge'. On
the other hand has recombination occurs between alleles, new genetic
combinations are created. Here the balance between elimination and creation
is (I think) very variable, in some case it's negtive oin other positive. I
think that at the beginning genetic combinations will be lost and that
genetic creation will come in a second time. But here again it will depend
on genetic structure and breeding system of your taxa.

Apomixis do not create but conserve a given genetic state whereas
self-pollination eliminate but also create genetic combinations.
I don't know what is "better". What happens is that such mechanisms (can)
exist and can be selected or counter-selected according to the population
situation.

It's clearer?

Sincerely yours,

Marc