[Aroid-l] Orontium seed germination

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Orontium seed germination
  • From: Adam Black epiphyte1@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:23:29 -0400

Does anyone have any tips for growing Orontium aquaticum from seed? I know the seeds germinate within the fruits, float for a while after becoming detatched from the infructescense, and then sink, but that is about all I know. A few of the fruits that I opened up had already started to germinate, so I assume they are ready? Do I need to peel the tough covering off the seeds, or does this protective covering need to stay intact and the seedling will penetrate through it? These are very different from Anthurium and other Aroid seeds I am used to with a soft fruit that the seeds are simply squeezed out of.

Right now I have a pot filled 3/4 full of soil, submerged in a cattle trough so that there is a couple of inches (which equals something like several centimeters - but this in an American aroid!) of water over the soil line, but the rim of the pot is above the water line to contain the floating unpeeled fruits. Does this sound like I am on the right track? Would it be better if the seeds were in wet but not submerged conditions? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Aroid-l mailing list