Re: [Aroid-l] moving dormant plants outdoors

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] moving dormant plants outdoors
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:51:28 -0400

Ron,

It's been my experience up here in CT that if I water the tubers before they're ready to break dormancy that I'm risking rot - and a high risk, too. I would not recommend doing the move and I wouldn't recommend trying to keep them moist unless you have one of the few species that won't tolerate dryness at all.

When I try to keep "slightly moist" I generally lose the tubers. Most of them don't require the "slightly moist" when they're in soil during dormancy.

-Ken

Ron wrote:
On another topic, now that it is Summer here in South Florida, my wife would
like to get all of my dormant Amorphophallus pots out of the garage. Would I
loose them if I put the pots out where they get rained on?  Should I keep
them moist in the garage?  Ron Kessler ronlene@bellsouth.net