Re: [Aroid-l] konjack outside

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] konjack outside
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:08:20 -0400

Don,

A big part of your tuber's survival was likely that it was completely dry. There's a big difference between dry cold and damp cold.

Sometimes tubers survive Winter outdoors in CT (zone 5) in a protected spot. I tried two, one in Old Saybrook, on the shore and warmer than my house by a lot. It did not survive (a largish tuber, more than 1 or 2 years old). The second was in Manchester right against my friends house where it would get warmth from the foundation and a little less water because the overhang and gutters would protect it somewhat. It did not survive. Again, a largish tuber that grew great the summer before it died and I planted it DEEP - as deep as I could dig with my little hand shovel, at least 8 inches.

-Ken

Don Martinson wrote:
Hello Steve,

I'm also in Zone 5 (Milwaukee, WI) and I always plant my konjac tubers
outside for the summer.  In our short season, they need all the sunlight and
warmth they can get.

Spring would be the time to plant, as I have not heard of anyone reliably
keeping konjac tubers in the ground over winter this far north.

However, I had an interesting observation earlier this spring.  My konjac
bloomed in February (earlier than the usual March, since I kept it at
between 65-70F instead of in the basement, where temps are closer to 50F).

As is my wont, I took the blooming plant down to my place of business to
impress and gross out employees and customers alike (it's OK, I own the
place).  After the bloom was done, I planned to bring the tuber back home
in my car.  Unfortunately, I left the tuber in  the car in my detached
garage on a nite when the temperatures dropped to about 10F.  Unfortunately,
I can't document the actual temperature reached in my car, but I would think
that it was considerably below freezing.  However. I kept the tuber and it
has now put up a small shoot.  I think the main reason it could survive such
a low temperature was that the tuber was still at least partially dormant
at the time, meaning not in active growth.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin