[Aroid-l] OT: Fungi that eat ionizing radiation?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] OT: Fungi that eat ionizing radiation?
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 23:03:08 -0500 (CDT)

A bit off topic, but I know others on the list like these things too ...

A post today on one of the bulb lists I follow gave a link to a
"fascinating-if-true" paper on the possibility that some fungi can use ionizing
radiation as a direct energy source in a way similar to plant's use of visible

An abstract is at:

and the full paper seems to be available online at PLoS ONE at:

Ok, it's not exactly "The Blob", but the part about melanized fungi colonizing
the walls of the damaged Chernobyl reactor has at least a bit of those old
1960's science fiction "B" movies about it. If it were April 1, I'd assume it
was a joke ... but I admit I hope it's true.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list