Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit
  • From: "C. J. Addington" <cjaddington@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:45:51 -0700

Hello Peter!
    Oddly enough, my most successful Helicodiceros are the ones that I pay
the least attention to. The ones that I slave over hardly ever do very well,
but the ones in the ground seem to thrive.
    I plant offset corms in my native heavy clay soil amended with a little
woody potting soil. I find the best plants are the ones planted on the South
sides of tree trunks - lots of winter sun, then shade in the spring and
early summer. They get drenched in our winter rainy season, then get normal
garden water with a sprinkler about weekly after that. I try to let them go
a bit dry during the summer dormancy period, but otherwise I don't fret over
them too much.
    I live just outside of Sacramento, California ( zone 9a ) and it appears
that my zone is very similar to the Balearic Islands where these guys
originate. I planted a bunch of babies all over the garden, and have been
shocked by how well they naturalized! I may regret planting so many . . .
    Hope that helps - have a great day!

Cheers,
CJ