RE: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 23:00:54 +0000

From : 	C. J. Addington <cjaddington@comcast.net>
Sent : 	Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:08 AM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit

Dear CJ,

Thanks for sharing your good fortune and photos with all of us on aroid-L. Nice job of growing this sometimes difficult species, and having the good fortune that the pollinators (probably blow-flies) are around your parts! I used to have this plant here in S. Florida, it did survive, but barely. I came out of dormancy and grew leaves in Winter/Spring here in the hot South, and went dormant around May-June when it became too hot. It never bloomed for me. I hope that others who live in an appropiate zone/area write to you and that you can trade off some of the seeds, it is a plant worthy of being kept in cultivation!

The Best,

Hello Aroiders!
   Due to a hectic academic life lately, I have mostly been a silent
on this board - reading a lot but adding little. But I have had a cool
happen in my yard that I thought I would share . . .
   The last few years I have been planting Helicodiceros offsets in
parts of my California garden, and they have slowly started blooming in
early May.This year I had one of my blooms get pollinated naturally - no
scalpel, no paintbrush, no frozen pollen - and set a nice cluster of
all on its own. I have never seen a Helicodiceros fruit cluster before,
figured that few people have either, so here it is!
   If you click on this Flickr photo link, you can see the fruit

   I am working on getting more of my photos online as well - I had
nice Arum, Dracunculus and Biarum blooms this spring.

   Have a great week All!

Cheers, C.J. Addington<<

Aroid-l mailing list