Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodiceros fruit
  • From: "C. J. Addington" <cjaddington@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:04:06 -0700

Thanks, Julius!
    I always thought this was a tricky species too, until I just started
chunking the babies in my garden and ignoring them. Then they took off and
now I have some really big plants in odd corners of the garden. I may
seriously regret planting so many if they all start blooming at once!
    I have grown Dracunculus and various Arums here for years, and they
open-pollinate quite freely, so we seem to have a good cohort of carrion
insects. I see many big hairy beetles and metallic flies all over my freshly
opened Dracunculus blooms.
    I am going to collect the seeds once the fruits ripen, and would be
happy to share them with anyone who would like to give them a shot. They do
deserve good homes!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

C.J. Addington
Central California