Re: Philodendrons produce infrared light?

  • Subject: Re: Philodendrons produce infrared light?
  • From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:29:16 -0800

> There is a guy on UBC which is one of the sites I often
> answer questions about aroids insisting his Philodendron
> bipennidifidum is producing infrared light as a result of
> the spadix going through male and female anthesis.  I've
> tried to explain the process as I've learned it from Dr.
> Croat and Julius including insect pollinators and how they
> are attracted to the plant as a result of pheromones.  I
> now am receiving private male from others saying they
> think he is onto something.  It is obvious from his
> "strange science" he knows nothing about aroids.  He had
> no idea what pollen even was, yet he described it as a
> purely personal observation.  His theory is the heat
> produced by the spadix is a result of infrared light and
> he appears to have no understanding of thermogenesis.
> Will any of you please let me know if such a thing is even
> possible?

Is he using some kind of infrared night-vision device?
Anything that produces heat will show up on that.  Soldiers
use such devices to see the enemy at night -- living,
warm-blooded bodies will show up glowing brightly against
the darker (cooler) background.  If he is using an infrared
viewing device, he will see the heat given off, and that may
be what he is interpreting as infrared light.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-L mailing list