Re: Infra red cameras

Hi Gary, Steve.

My suspicion's raised when the spadix takes ~8 hours or so to move into
a position (which appears to be the focal point of the spathe) and
*only* then heats up.
The interior of the spathe is also coloured white, better to reflect
than the green outside of it?

The thermal imaging camera I'm now thinking of hiring produces real time
images. So it should be easy to move around and see whether the spathe
appears brilliantly illuminated from the front.
I also want to do another timelapse, but in infra red. I want to see
what the whole things looks like as it lights up.

Thanks very much for the link. That hack certainly looks interesting.
The way I'm now thinking is that I should 'bite the bullet' be done with
it and hire a thermal imaging system for three days.
Assuming, my other avenues of enquiry prove fruitless. Best quote I've
got so far is £250 which isn't too awful (relatively speaking)

Couple of questions:

Is it possible that there may be other pollinator insects for this plant?
Are there any methods of predicting the flower is going to open the day
before it does? (hire company needs advance notice of a day)

Steve, I remember you saying it slightly opens up beforehand, but are
there any other indicators I could look for as well?
(it would be a real pain to hire the camera and then nothing happens!)

ExoticRainforest wrote:
> I know of no inexpensive way to do this so your suggestion is
> certainly valid.  As for the parabolic reflector, I find that
> extremely interesting.  I'm now certain infrared plays some role.  It
> is simply up to the scientists to verify what that role may be since
> the actual insects involved will need to be tested.  I had only
> considered the possiblity the insect could "see" the spadix but the
> idea of their seeing the entire spathe is even more interesting.
> Steve

Aroid-L mailing list