Re: Amorphophallus ID Yes!

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus ID Yes!
  • From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 15:59:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi! Those are indeed atroviridis. I bought some also. Th difference is that they farm those there in Thailand and eat them like potatoes in soup and there for they are commercially grown in the hard ground in rocky soil. Therefore you get the thick skin and odd shapes. They are grown to have tough skin so they can be easily harvested and donot damage easy . These sellers buy them by the basket full from food stands. The one on aroid.org had the luxury of growing in a soft rock and clay-free potting soil. If you grow yours in potting soil, next year they will look white and smooth when harvested.