Re: Amorphophallus cirrifer issue

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus cirrifer issue
  • From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:25:45 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you so much Dr. Hetterscheid :-)

I refuse to
participate in the in the recession.

--- On Fri, 4/30/10, Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@xs4all.nl> wrote:

From: Wilbert Hetterscheid <hetter@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus cirrifer issue
To: "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 11:03 PM

Cirrifer in my collection always did the same thing:

Flowering IN soil (never let an Amorpho flower on a dry tuber, it will
cost extra water) so it can make a few roots during flowering, which
probably serve to take up water during the rapid stretching of the cells
of the flower. Leave it in soil after flowering and water just enough to
keep moist because cirrifer always produced its leaf a few weeks after
flowering for me. Don't force it to go dormant.

And yes, when the plant has to live with lower temperatures it will
certainly produce a small tuber and tubers that haven't developed well,
are much more sensitive to drying out during dormancy.

Amorphs always want a fine leaf-season in order to rebuild a healthy
tuber. And most species need tropical temperatures for that.