Re: Anthurium ID

#1892 is what many in the trade call crystallinum...many of these are in fact primary hybrids. I grow a number of 'Crystal Hope' and it appears to me to be a complex hybrid involving crystallinum. Very compact, rather touchy in cultivation and the contrast light color bleeding off the main veins is quite distinctive and may suffuse almost the entire interveinal tisue. It also appears to have suffered some sort of mutation in TC that makes it clump early on and, like some other plants suffering from this same problem, it is rather difficult to train them to a single lead. I have found that if you can get a single good-sized stem going, they will then exhibit reasonably normal growth.

From: criswick@spiceisle.com
To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:54:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium ID

Everybody is saying that the plant in the picture is A. clarinervium but attached, 1892, is the plant I have always known as A. clarinervium. These leaves are 15 cm. long and I don’t doubt they can get much bigger under optimum conditions, but in comparison with A. crystallinum and A. magnificum the plant is a dwarf. It produces orange fruits.

Incidentally there is another plant introduced into the trade through tissue culture as Anthurium ‘Crystal Hope’ which may be a mutation of A. crystallinum.  The leaves on this specimen are 23 cm. long. See 1890.