Moles, Voles or the like

I planted the Alocasia macrorrhizos I received from Tony Avent this weekend,
and then proceeded to cozy away the new Bletilla I also received from him.
I thought it curious that none of my plants had appeared yet, so I excavated
the topsoil from the bed.  I discovered many little holes throughout, and
no sign at all of my old Bletillae!  There have been some mole problems; my
neighbor planted castor beans about to no visible effect.  Another neighbor
used electric thingies in the soil, again with no visible effect.   I am
toying with the idea of planting them in a wire cage
with half-inch or smaller openings.  Are there other ideas?

Clear skies,
Al