Re: Help i.d. these aroids

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Riffle <>
To: <>
Date: Thursday, May 14, 1998 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: Help i.d. these aroids

Dear Bob,
The commoner (in cultivation) species of Xanthosomas have sagittate leaves,
while the commoner species of Colocasias (and Alocasias) have peltate
leaves.  As in everything to do with Aroids, there are exceptions to these
rules, as there are even cultivars of Taro (Colocasia) in Hawaii with
sagittate leaves ("Piko" types, according to Deni Bown`s book) where they
"have their blades lobed to the navel or piko".  She also has good
illustrations of these two types of leaves, Colocasia and Xanthosoma.  By
the way, Aroiders out there, any more news on a re-print of this wonderful
book???   There are also smaller species of Xanthosoma that I`ve seen from
S. America with peltate, pubescent leaves. This may explain why no one has
stated that Xanthosoma leaves are NOT peltate.  There would be many terms
for a petiole attachment that was not peltate, depending on HOW/WHERE it was
Hope that this helps,

Julius, thanks to you and Eduardo this MAY be coming together (i.e.,
clear) for me now.  You are saying that Colocasia leaves are peltate
and Xanthosoma leaves are not (?)  I just checked and both HORTUS III
and the Griffiths' DICTIONARY mention that Colocasia leaves ARE peltate
but does not say that Xanthosoma leaves are NOT peltate.  And what would
be the term for petiole attachment that is NOT peltate, if there IS one?
I can't even find such a term in the Harris/Harris book.  Seems to me
there needs to be one, eh?

Thanks much;  this is all very much fun ....