Re: Help i.d. these aroids (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 16:15:24 -0500
From: Eduardo <>
Subject: Re: Help i.d. these aroids

This message was submitted by Eduardo <> to list If you forward it back to the list, it will be distribut=
without the paragraphs above the dashed line. You may edit the Subject: lin=
and the text of the message before forwarding it back.

If you edit the messages you receive into a digest, you will need to remove
these paragraphs and the dashed line before mailing the result to the list.
Finally, if you need more information from the author of this message, you
should be able to do so by simply replying to this note.

----------------------- Message requiring your approval -------------------=
Sender: Eduardo <>

Bob Riffle wrote:
> Julius, thanks to you and Eduardo this MAY be coming together (i.e.,
> clear) for me now.  You are saying that Colocasia leaves are peltate
> and Xanthosoma leaves are not (?)

Well... Most Xanthosoma are not peltate (with the sole exception of one
known from Venezuela (X. peltatum Bunt.), as Tom already said), and most
Colocasia are peltate. But dont forget: Aroids love exceptions!!!
Xanthosoma sagittifolium isnt peltate. The insertion of the leaf blade
of the basal lobes is very close to the petiole insertion, but in a
peltate leaf, the blades of the two basal lobes are fused.=20

About the differences between X. sagittifolium and X. violaceum, take a
look at this:

        Leaf base of X. violaceum   Leaf base of X. sagittifolia

That=B4s what I was meaning in my letter concerning the differences. Just
to remember: none of them are peltate.=20

I must to be crazy to hope it helps,