Re: Lysichitum

> I just want to grow Lysichitums;
> and have a small plant of each species (americanum and
> camstchatcense) in swampy shade near our spring- the
> coolest, dampest niche I can find.  But they are small
> and don't seem to increase much in size from year to
> year.  Do they ordinarily grow quite slowly?
> Could be our climate (7b-8a) is just too warm;
>                Thanks much,
>                    Bob Burns

Your climate shouldn't be a problem. I grow both species
here in zone 9 and they flower and multiply happily.
Try feeding them. They love it !
Animal manure, compost or chemical fertilizer will give them a
My plants get morning sun too which they seem to like.
Maybe your spot is too dark ?

Watch out for spider mite infestations as these can be a real
problem for Lysichitons and will certainly stunt their growth.

Biological Sciences
Monash University, Clayton 3168
e-mail: Rob.McClure@sci.monash.edu.au