Re: Aroid Club of Tampa Bay

I've received a few inquirers about the Aroid Club of Tampa Bay and
thought I'd send some information.
	The club started on September 14, 1995 when 7 people from around
the Tampa Bay area decided that we needed a club who's purpose would be
to discuss the family Araceae. This grouping was so strong that almost 4
years later these seven people still participate in the club. There are
no "just warm bodies" in this group.
	We now have about 25 members that stretch across central Florida
with 2 members from outside Florida.
	I publish a monthly newsletter called "The Spathifile" which is
divided into 3 parts. The first part is on current events like what we
are doing, where the club will meet, what we discussed at the last
meeting and what we will be discussing at the next. The second part is
usually either an article written by one of our members or a reprint from
"Aroidiana" (with credits) or some other interesting source such as the
internet. The third part is a new development. I am putting together a
list of all the species of Aroids, and their synonyms. Later this "Aroid
Profile" will include photos, descriptions and hopefully growing
techniques from people who have actually grown them. This will be a very
long term project but will be well worth it.
	The club meets on the first Tuesday of each month. During long
day months, we meet at a volunteer members home where we have a pot luck
dinner after perusing their collection of beauties, followed by our
business meeting.
During short day months we have the meeting at a centrally located place
where we have our business and usually a short discussion about, you
guest it, Aroids.
	The membership to the club is $12 per year with a reduction in
price to $6 for people who join after June 1.
	Memberships can be sent to me Robert Arias c\o Aroid Club of
Tampa Bay. 2702 w. Idlewild Ave. Tampa, FL 33614.
	This coming month on Saturday and Sunday June 5 & 6 we will be
having our very first show and sale. It will be held at the Ybor City
Museum Society Botanical Gardens in Tampa. This being our first show, we
are going at it in a gingerly sort of way (ie not giving prizes). This
will be an aroid showing with a few tropical vendors as well. The hours
will be from 10am-3pm both days. If anyone would like more information
please call the Botanical Gardens at (813) 247-6323 during regular
business hours and ask for our liaison Gus Jimenez.
	If anyone has any questions about the club please feel free to
direct them my way at rharias@juno.com
Thanks Robert.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]