Amorphophallus titanum at Selby - update

Amorphophallus titanum update from Selby:

For all of you Amorphophiles, our larger A. titanum bud dropped its
cataphylls yesterday afternoon about 2PM. We are anticipating that the spathe
will begin to open up more throughout today and Wednesday (it is showing much
more red coloration around the edges now), and by Thursday, we will start to
see the spathe opening up and maybe get a whiff of that wonderful aroma by
late Thursday or Friday. We are now predicting full spathe opening will occur
anywhere from 3-5 days from now, based upon records from previous flowerings
at Fairchild and Atlanta. The full opening is not easy to pinpoint. Virtually
everyone wants to know and we can't possibly give an exact date, but stayed
tuned to our web site (www.selby.org) or call our Amorphophallus Hotline at
(941) 366-2815. I am updating this recorded message each morning, usually
around 9:30 -10 AM.

We have a second, smaller flower that should be opening a couple of days
after the first one, so we will try to pollinate this second inflorescence
with pollen from the first. I have just learned that Leiden has already set
seed on one of their A. titanum. We will have to get those details from

Both plants are on display side-by-side in our Fernery Trellis area just
outside the Display House. I hope some of you can make it here to see these
two astounding monsters blooming together!

More soon,

Donna Atwood
Selby Gardens
811 S. Palm Ave.