a non-aroid question

OK, so this has absolutely nothing to do with anything even remotely
connected with aroids.

What happened to the acorns on Long Island this year?  Last year the rattle
of them falling against the skylights created such a racket that I couldn't
have slept in my new bedroom even if it had been ready.  The aftermath
included sheets of acorns on the ground sometimes a couple inches thick.

This year I haven't seen a single acorn.  I understand that there might be
some variation in seed production from one year to the next - but zero
acorns?  I truly haven't seen a single one and my property is covered with
tall oak trees.  (I expect to find skinny squirrels begging for scraps.)
        Les