Re: a non-aroid question, a non-aroid suggestion!!!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: a non-aroid question, a non-aroid suggestion!!!
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:23:44 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Thursday, November 09, 2000 11:35 PM
Subject: a non-aroid question

Hi Les,

This I`ve read of somewhere, it is Mother Natures 'feast and famine' thing,
it occurs because of weather cycles, and SOMETHING happened in your area in
the past year that caused this, either in the rain or lack of, or it may
have been something/sometime in the reproductive cycle of the trees
themselves, no wind when the pollen was being shed, or whatever.   This
well-know cycle causes the great fluctuations in all the life forms
dependant on this source of food, everything from Deer and other mammals at
the 'high' end to insects and maybe even fungi, etc. on the 'low' end suffer
great population drops or increases, depending on the feast or if it is a
'famine' year.   Lots of skinny deer, squirrels, dying owls, etc. can be
expected for you this year!   When the oaks produce an abundance of
fruit/seed again, there will be baby owls being found and brought in to
shelters everywhere, and lots of extra life seen and killed on the roads
Back in Trinidad the cycle for owls was about every 6 years, yellow fever
was around 20 years, and no one knows what the cycle may be for humans world
wide, BUT we sure are due a 'famine/illness' cycle (BIG scare a couple years
ago in Hong Kong when a new flu strain crossed over from fowl to humans, all
poultry in the entire area were destroyed to prevent the spread!!!!)    I
believe the latest is the AIDS epidemic , but previous it was a 'minor'
die-off by 'Hong Kong' flu, and there was the big die-off in the late
1800`s-early 1900`s from the 'Spanish flu', the Irish potato famine was
another, etc.!!!
That`s life!

>OK, so this has absolutely nothing to do with anything even remotely
connected with aroids.

What happened to the acorns on Long Island this year?  Last year the rattle
of them falling against the skylights created such a racket that I couldn't
have slept in my new bedroom even if it had been ready.  The aftermath
included sheets of acorns on the ground sometimes a couple inches thick.

This year I haven't seen a single acorn.  I understand that there might be
some variation in seed production from one year to the next - but zero
acorns?  I truly haven't seen a single one and my property is covered with
tall oak trees.  (I expect to find skinny squirrels begging for scraps.)