Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: callas, Z. aethiopica in particular
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:55:24 -0600 (CST)

Dan, Ray:

	Okay, let see if I can add two cents worth to the zantedeschia aethiopica
fray.  The plant that Dan sent was solid green, but seems to be larger than
our typical Z. aethiopica.

	When we visited San Francisco, a friend had a row of Z. aethiopica named
Z. White Giant' that had foliage to 3' tall, speckled, and typical Z.
aethiopica flowers to 7' tall.  We were able to aquire this plant, which
will be listed in our 2001 catalog.

	We later aquired another plant at Strybing Botanical Garden named Z.
'Hercules'.  The leaves are much larger than our Z. White Giant', but they
have only been in the ground here for two years.  We have not started to
propagate Z. 'Herculues' yet, but probably will do so next year.   For us
Z. aethiopica gets burned back in the winter, but starts growing again at
each warm spell.  It flowers heaviest in spring, sporadically in summer,
then again in fall.

	Plantsman Sean Hogan of Portland tells me that he found a giant Z.
aethiopica seedling when he was curator at Berkley Botanic Gardens in CA.
More than likely, his plant is one of these two giants, but as of now, we
do not know which one.   I hope this helps.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road