Anthurium comtum

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Anthurium comtum
  • From: "van den Bergh" <bergh@tpg.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:55:43 -0600 (CST)

Could anyone tell me what the flower of Anthurium comtum looks like and
describe the leaf and its habit.. This plant is on Thomas Croat's list but
no information on the plant is available on the IAS site.
I bought a plant labelled Anthurium comton [note the different spelling]
from a nursery years ago and it has upright thick, flat, leathery,
paddle-shaped leaves in bird's nest form. The flower has a short fat maroon
spadix and a narrow maroon spathe both upright.
Having just bought Anthurium coriaceum from another nursery I was struck by
the similarity in leaf form, although this plant is still small. Has there
been a mix up in names, do these plants look alike in fact? I have read
though that Anthurium coriaceum has a green spathe with maroon inside.
Could anyone throw any light on this, I would be grateful, thanks.
Marilyn van den Bergh.