Re: Traveling with plants (P.Rico)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Traveling with plants (P.Rico)
  • From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:19:28 -0600 (CST)

Yes, I have left - I'm back now.  It was a work related trip and so as soon
as my talk was over I pretty much had to leave and come back.

I had found a USDA document indicating that plants can be returned but need
only be "de-soiled" and de-bugged.  I was excited about that.  One of the
users here had emailed the name of a grower.  Unfortunately, that place
proved to be 25 minutes away from my hotel.  With only a couple hours free
on Monday morning, I couldn't go there.

Instead, one of the conference organizers drove me to a local "vivero"
where I found material for the most part of about the same variety (but
lower quality) than my local Home Depot.  I did manage to find a couple
things I've wanted that aren't at my local Home Depot.  I had to purchase
something given that they were kind enough to drive me to this local
vivero.  I can't say I was very impressed with anything though except that
the prices were as high as they were.

I carefully washed the roots, removed diseased leaves, packaged the plants
as they should be and prepared to have a thorough USDA inspection.  Well,
it never happened.  I boarded the plane and landed at Kennedy 4 hours
later.  Although we landed at the international terminal, we were just
directed to baggage claim with no checks.  If I'm ever invited back to PR
for another talk, I plan to get to at least one of the places that were
recommended and will make plans to bring back some better variety.

            Les