hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: Traveling with plants (P.Rico)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Traveling with plants (P.Rico)
  • From: Lester Kallus <lkallus@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:19:28 -0600 (CST)

Yes, I have left - I'm back now.  It was a work related trip and so as soon 
as my talk was over I pretty much had to leave and come back.

I had found a USDA document indicating that plants can be returned but need 
only be "de-soiled" and de-bugged.  I was excited about that.  One of the 
users here had emailed the name of a grower.  Unfortunately, that place 
proved to be 25 minutes away from my hotel.  With only a couple hours free 
on Monday morning, I couldn't go there.

Instead, one of the conference organizers drove me to a local "vivero" 
where I found material for the most part of about the same variety (but 
lower quality) than my local Home Depot.  I did manage to find a couple 
things I've wanted that aren't at my local Home Depot.  I had to purchase 
something given that they were kind enough to drive me to this local 
vivero.  I can't say I was very impressed with anything though except that 
the prices were as high as they were.

I carefully washed the roots, removed diseased leaves, packaged the plants 
as they should be and prepared to have a thorough USDA inspection.  Well, 
it never happened.  I boarded the plane and landed at Kennedy 4 hours 
later.  Although we landed at the international terminal, we were just 
directed to baggage claim with no checks.  If I'm ever invited back to PR 
for another talk, I plan to get to at least one of the places that were 
recommended and will make plans to bring back some better variety.


 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index