Germination of Dracontium Seed

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Germination of Dracontium Seed
  • From: Denis <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:26:31 -0600 (CST)

Dear Aroiders:

Despite pessimistic warnings that Darcontium seed are hard to germinate
and not to get my hopes up, Three of the seeds obtained from Joep Moonen
in Frech Guyana which he labeled "Flat Top" have germinated. I expect
more will come up with time. The Dieffenbachia humilis have also come
up. So you can expect to have some Dracontiums and Some Dieffenbachia
Seedlings for next years Auction...provided they don't eat up too much
space. Speaking of eating up Space, the seedlings of Philodendron
solimoesense are now in 6" pots and doing quite well(We could not sell
them all in 4" pots at the Annual show in September and we did not want
to dump them.) If anyone would like some of these plants at $5.00 each
(minimum order 6 plants) plus Freight (UPS or US Mail)I would be glad to
ship you a box. There are far too many to hold onto in my nursery. I may
have to ask Fairchild Gardens to help me move some out at their Spring
Sale. They lack the lobed leaves and character of Philodendron
bipennatifidum but should develope more charcter as they mature.

Denis at Silver Krome Gardens
Homestead Florida