Philodendron coenolescense (sp?) ?

  • Subject: Philodendron coenolescense (sp?) ?
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:21:46 -0600 (CST)

Aroiders,

I don't grow too many vining aroids, especially the larger ones, but it's
due to lack of space and not any dislike of the plants. I do have a few
that I couldn't resist, mostly courtesy of Tom and Petra.

But Phil Mueller routinely ignored me when I complained that I didn't live
in New Orleans (USDA zone 9? maybe 10?) and didn't have much greenhouse
space, and sent me all sorts of things with complete disregard for such
trivia.

One is a pot labeled only "Philo. coenolescense" (or something close to
that). It does look like a philodendron and has been snaking its way
across a shelf for some years now. The upper leaf has a remakable silver
coloration, enhanced by the surface being smooth and shiny.

I took a stroll through the Tropicos database at MoBot today and didn't
find anything close to this name. (A web search on 'coenolescense' also
turned up no hits.) Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I can take some digital pictures to send to the ID center, but I thought
I'd ask first as there's a good chance Phil got the plant from someone on
this list.

Thanks,

Steve

-- Steve Marak