Re: Possible Aglaonema ID supplied.

  • Subject: Re: Possible Aglaonema ID supplied.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:24:22 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Clarence Hammer <chammer@cfl.rr.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2001 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: Aglaonema ID needed

Dear Eric, Clarence and other Aglaonema 'nuts',

I may have an ID on this one, as I received a posting from a friend that the
plant Eric describes most probably is one that is from tissue culture at
Twyford`s labs, it was called 'red sword' and was made from a non-Dr. Brown
collection in West Sumatra by two of our intrepid IAS menbers, so will not
be in Dr Brown`s recent book on the genus.   If anyone really wants more
information than that I could probably persue the lead further, but a good
first step would be a photo. of Eric`s plant posted on the web.

Sincerely,

Julius

.Hello Eric.
Your description of the top of the leaves of your plant could indeed be
many, especially the Brown hybrids as Julius says.  However, the maroon
reverse, and darker maroon petioles is highly unusual.  I haven't seen a
Brown hybrid or any other Aglaonema with that characteristic, unless Frank
in his wizardry has created a new
one I haven't seen.   I'm thinking you may have a Homalomena hybrid, some of
which I think have the colors you describe.

By the way, I am in your area, where did you find it??

Russ
Central Fla/Sanford/LakeMary area.
-----