Re: Amorphophallus characteristics

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus characteristics
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:49:33 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, StroWi wrote:

> I am interested in Amorphophallus spec. with the combination of the following
> charateristics:
>
> 1) high ornamental value (mainly) of the leaf
..
> 2) no or poor offset growth
> 3) rare or poor or low seeds set

Bernhard,

I also look for Amorphs with certain features. I'm usually looking for
small ones, preferably with uncomplicated culture, to let me grow more of
them in my limited space as simply as possible. I like unusual or
especially attractive leaves too, though, so I read your note with
interest.

I was however curious about the 2) and 3) requirements - you are looking
specifically for Amorphophallus which are difficult to propagate? As I am
usually anxious to propagate at least a backup plant or two, this was a
surprise to me. Is there some advantage that I am failing to see of a
difficult-to-propagate Amorphophallus?

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu