Re: [aroid-l] Mealy bugs on Amorphophallus.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Mealy bugs on Amorphophallus.
  • From: rajshekhar misra rajshekharmisra@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:17:16 -0800 (PST)

Neil
Mealy bugs on Amorphophallus is a serious problem. If
allowed to multiply, the sprouting of the tubers is
affected. I encounter this problem every year when I
store my tubers for next season planting. If the mealy
bugs are visible on freshly harvested tubers, the
problem is compunded.
I generally get the tubers physically rubbed with
coarse jute bag pieces to remove the mealy bugs. After
that I dip the tubers in Monocrotophos (0.05%)
solution for 5 minutes and dry them in shade before
storing. The mealy bugs will again appear after one
month. The same treatment is repeated. You need to
give two to three treatments during storage to control
mealy bugs. Mealy bugs also attack Colocasia,
Xanthosome and Dioscorea tubers in my store but they
are more severe on Amorphophallus and Colocasia.
R.S.Misra