Re: [aroid-l] .../spath question

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] .../spath question
  • From: "ron iles" roniles@eircom.net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:02:05 -0000

Hi Rosalind

I found that in a range of cultural conditions, Spathiphyllum "Domino" seems
to be  random in its variegation patterns. But maybe even more than normal
green Spathiphyllum it is dislikes bright (sun) light & an adequate but not
too deep shade could enhance the variegation?  Paradoxically, like maybe
some other shade variegates very bright fluorescent lighting might increase
the ratio of white to green.  Variegation can even extend into the spathes &
ruin for me their glorious simplicity & purity against the simple green
leaves.  Domino is a stable "commercial" variegate produced in the US by
Milestone Agriculture in Florida.  It is "beautiful" but for me as with
other more "obvious" man made ornamental "improvements" on Nature it was sad
that variegated Spathiphyllum should be grown in preference to the simple,
subtle, inobvious, delicate, more gracious but relatively rarely seen taxa
like S. patinii, S. floribundum & other Section Amomophyllum forms & scented
Section Massowia & of course true S. "wallisii".

Ron Iles
 I had a question about another plant I'm interested in getting --