Re: [aroid-l] Abasia borneo?

> This is one that perhaps Dewey knows about.  Ree Gardens, owned by Steve
>and Marie Nock in Pinecrest, FL shows an aroid featured on the
>Tropicalgardening.com website that they describe at Abasia borneo, but looks
>suspiciously like some kind of Alocasia:
>I'm not familiar with the genus Abasia.  Can anyone check this out?

Just a guess, but if someone misread Alocasia, especially if it was written
rather than typed, and the 'l' and the 'o' were too close together, there's
the 'b.' Perhaps the 'c' was forgotten, or perhaps it ran into the 'a', and
that changes the non-genus word "Abasia" back to "Alocasia." If it was
typed, perhaps the person who retyped it just needs glasses - who knows. I
suspect that it should read "Alocasia sp. from Borneo" - a perfect example
of the need for copy editors or at least proofreaders, hmmm?

Jonathan Ertelt, Greenhouse Manager
Department of Biological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
Box 35-1634, Sta. B