Re: [Aroid-l] Mini rant right back at ya.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Mini rant right back at ya.
  • From: "Susan Cooper" <coops@execpc.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:58:01 -0500

Let me throw my hat in with the boys.  Marketing is everything in ebay,
which is why people pay extra to get gallery listing and add photos.
You may have noticed that listings with no photos do not get as high of
a price; or that photos of tubers do not sell as well as photos of
plants and tubers, or photos of a mature plant. Would titans be as
interesting if a photo of a mature leaf or inflorescence had never been
published?  I think not!
I devour almost every plant catalogue out there, both hardcopy and
online.  We market our plants the same as everyone else, to get noticed
and to generate interest.
While our main audience might be Aroiders, marketing also attracts
people that are new to the Aroid world, or people looking for new and
interesting plants.  People using ebay use the search engine, and not
all may be able to even spell Amorphophallus.  Some may just be looking
for interesting plants.  I myself have looked through the listings for
bizarre plants, or rare plants.  It is interesting!  And this may shock
some of you, but I think all Aroids for sale on ebay can be classified
as rare, unusual, and bizarre, yes, even konjac.  You cannot buy
Amorphos at your local garden center,you don't see them in the Gurney,
Parks, Wayside Gardens, etc catalogues.  It wasn't so many years ago
that I paid $25 for my first konjac, it was about the size of a nickle
and I thought I was lucky to get it.
Yes, I sell on eBay.  Am I going to get rich on it?  No way.  Am I
going to recoup the thousands of dollars I have spent on tubers?  No
way!  But when I have excess tubers, or get an unexpectedly high
germination rate, it is a way to make a little bit of money, and I
don't think you have a problem with that, do you?
OK, this is turning into a rant of my own, let me just close with a
story about my first ebay sale- $9 for 20 seeds of a purple hibiscus
(rose of sharon, mallow, whatever you want to call it).  Wow, I was
seeing dollar signs! LOL  Obviously it was worth it to the person that
had bid on the seeds, although many others would not have spent that

> Very well said!, I agree with you 100%
> On ebay we are marketing to sell a item and get it noticed, not to
rip anyone off,
> Jeff
sometimes phallic, most times very beautiful inflorescence....with a
solitary umbrella like leaf that can get as tall or taller than a
man.....that is by most people's standards bizarre.  Seems like adding
bizarre or rare in front of a rather uncommon, unusual or out of the
norm plant's name is a marketing technique that works rather well and
doesnt fool anyone.  As long as the plant being marketed is the plant
you get I dont see a problem with it.