RE: [Aroid-l] reddish veined Philodendron bipinnatifidum

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] reddish veined Philodendron bipinnatifidum
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:41:29 +0000

Dear Eric,

Pinkish or redish veined (or edged) leaves are very common in both Philodendron bipinnatifidum and P. lundii. I have never seen such aspect in P. mello-barretoanum, but I am not saying that it doesn´t exist. Anyhow, without a closer picture of the stem, I would never be able to say which species it belongs. Next time, forget the leaves (that are so variable in all species of the P. bipinnatifidum complex that cannot be used consistently) and take a close picture of the stem (to check the presence or absence of thorns or thiny scales) and check the shape of the petiole at middle (if it is flat, slightly sulcate or deeply sulcate above).

Very best wishes,

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia
Curso de Ciencias Biologicas