Re: [Aroid-l] amorphophallus SICK Looking bulb HELP

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] amorphophallus SICK Looking bulb HELP
  • From: "D. Scott Taylor" <staylor@brevardparks.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:35:37 -0500

I have posted previously a couple of times about similar problems I have had with paeoniifolius, and based on those communications I have surmised that it can be a 'problem' species. Now I am wondering/hoping that some clones are maybe less subject to this disorder. I have had ongoing problems with 'rot' in this species, particularly with larger tubers. I have tried cutting away the rot area and treating with fungicides (I have tried Captan and Mancozeb). I have also tried sulfur and treating lesions with bleach: sometimes this works and sometimes not: often the rot will continue until much of the tuber is consumed. Oddly enough, when I get rot on konjac, the simple cutting away of the lesion seems to solve the problem, so these two species seem different in this regard. The recommendation I have had is that damaged tubers not be replanted, and also do not reuse planting media. A well-drained media is also supposed to be very important. I have tried drenching the soil with Mancozeb throughout the growing season, and this really didn't seem to help; my suspicion at this point is the the problem may not be fungal in origin: in fact, I have sent two different samples to path labs with no definitive results. This remains somewhat of a (frustrating!) mystery!!!
D. Scott Taylor