Re: [Aroid-l] amorphophallus SICK Looking bulb HELP

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] amorphophallus SICK Looking bulb HELP
  • From: "Greg Dorst" <gregg1-@charter.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:11:11 -0600

If it is injured or sick it finds its way to my house.

Paeoniifolius Bulb, received from my friend, appears to have an injury from possible digging instrument used for its removal. It has been out of the soil for about 4 weeks. The gash is about 7" long and 4" wide. Ya it is a nice size one for sure. I have used a spoon yesterday 11-14-04 and removed the "Mush" and "decay", and some seemingly discolored tissue up to the point of clean healthy flesh. I would like to save this bulb if possible. There is a few spots remaining which appear as slight discoloration ( dark spots ) but still, "semi firm" that would require deeper and more radical tissue insult to remove. I would say that I extracted a good 15% of the bulbs mass. Is there anything else which I should do other than say a prayer? Is the extraction of the decay the proper means to save the bulb? Is there a wonder application to end future decay? The soil the plant was in, is it considered contaminated? My suggestion to that was, " dump it and avoid the risk of any possible contamination ".
Thank you
Gregg and Maggie Dorst
gregg1-@charter.net