RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus sp. nova 'silver leaves'

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus sp. nova 'silver leaves'
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@xs4all.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:07:01 +0100

I myself acquired this "silver leaf" more than a year ago from the same
source as Out-of-Africa and although the plant hasn't yet flowered, the leaf
architecture points to Pseudodracontium. Pseudodracontium is actually a
"section" within Amorphophallus (the formal taxonomic decision has to be
published first though). Distinguishing Pseudodracontiums in leaf from
Amorphs proper is not easy to explain in words. Mostly Pseudodracontiums
have thicker leaves, a wider venation and only few leaflets per leaf.

Growing Pseudo's is no problem at all. Treat them like all Thai Amorphs.
Keep fully dry during dormancy and they may be taken out of the soil then.

The photo of the plants on the website of OoA shows the "silver leaf" on the
right hand. The left hand plant is a true Amorph.