Re: [Aroid-l] amorphophallus SICK Looking bulb HELP

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] amorphophallus SICK Looking bulb HELP
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:38:07 -0500

If you know someone with a greenhouse that has a supply of fungicides
you may want to apply Banrot (trade name) to the cut. It can be used as
a powder and is often used for tuberous begonia etc and other easy to
rot storage organs. Don't ask me where to get it but I have seen it used
at a few places.

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> gregg1-@charter.net 11/15/04 09:11AM >>>
    If it is injured or sick it finds its way to my house.

    Paeoniifolius Bulb, received from my friend, appears to have an
from possible digging instrument used for its removal.   It has been
out of
the soil for about 4 weeks.   The gash is about 7" long and 4" wide.
Ya it
is a nice size one for sure.   I have used a spoon yesterday 11-14-04
removed the "Mush" and "decay", and some seemingly discolored tissue up
the point of clean healthy flesh.   I would like to save this bulb if
possible.  There is a few spots remaining which  appear as slight
discoloration ( dark spots ) but still, "semi firm" that would require

deeper and more radical tissue insult to remove.  I would say that I
extracted a good 15% of the bulbs mass.  Is there anything else which I

should do other than say a prayer?  Is the extraction of the decay the

proper means to save the bulb?  Is there a wonder application to end
decay?  The soil the plant was in, is it considered contaminated?  My
suggestion to that was, " dump it and avoid the risk of any possible
contamination ".
Thank you
Gregg and Maggie Dorst

Aroid-l mailing list