[Aroid-l] general question

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] general question
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" <mjhatfield@oneota.org>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:19:35 -0600

A year ago last summer I had an Alocasia hybrid that if it were growing straight would have been about 7’ tall. However it had flopped over with the stalk in a big S shape. The plant was therefore about 4’ tall and 5’ wide. It became too unwieldy to handle so I cut off the top leaving about 4” of stalk assuming it would grow from the good roots. But I couldn’t throw away the cut off top portion so I stuck it in a 5 gallon pot with sphagnum around it. It’s been growing since then and now has 5 leaves on it. But it is time to give it some soil. How do you suggest I do this? I’m sure there are roots all thru the moss and to try to separate the roots from the moss would certainly cause much damage to the roots. However, I can’t just add soil to the pot.

Before I dump it out and try to remedy the situation I thought I would ask you, the experts.

MJ Hatfield

Aroid-l mailing list