RE: [Aroid-l] general question

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] general question
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:02:18 -0500

If it is doing well, why do you think that it is 'time to give it some
soil'? I get this sort of question all the time from people who are dying to
repot a houseplant, and I always try to slow them down in their mad needs to
control the situation. Always let the plant tell you what it needs, and if
it is happy in sphagnum, let it be. Actually sphagnum is an ideal growing
medium for everything - many years ago when I worked at Montreal Botanical
Garden, there was a man in the office who loved to grow cacti in glass
bottle with no drainage and sphagnum as the medium. His point, of course was
that it was the watering regime that mattered, not the substrate, but my
point is that anyone can grow almost anything in almost any medium, and that
the plants will tell you how they are doing if you just slow down and listen
to them. God, I am getting old! Sorry you youngsters. I do carry on.  Derek