Re: [Aroid-l] A ANSWER OF TYPES " The cement mixer please" or "The five gallon bucket and a paint stick"

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A ANSWER OF TYPES " The cement mixer please" or "The five gallon bucket and a paint stick"
  • From: "Greg Dorst" <gregg1-@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:15:13 -0600

" The cement mixer please" or "The five gallon bucket and a paint mixing stick"

That is a good question.  I can not say I have got "the answer" but I can tell you that a friend of mine faced with the problem, adding soil to pots without disturbing the rooting....
Now a bit of background on my friend.
Plant lover in spare time and by trade a cement worker. .... Now that out of the way, he uses a "slurry of potting soil".  The slurry appears like a bit over watered cement.  The extra water is there so you can obtain the flow of the slurry into the cavities and spaces you want to fill.  You want to be sure that you allow the excess water to freely run out of the pot, be it bottom hole or the way you tilt it so over the edge it goes.  Use a second container to catch the spillage. It works very well for me.  I have used the cement mixer and you can fill about 40 pots in less than 5 minutes with two people!  I have obtained the same results with a five gallon bucket and a paint mixing stick by mixing and pouring at the same time.  Speed not an issue with me but its the fastest way to fill pots in advance and in one step mix the potting soil, and add any other items you want to introduce into the soil at the same time.  After you use an electric cement mixer you will want MORE POWER.  SMILE
Gregg
" The cement mixer please" or "The five gallon bucket and a paint mixing stick"